Thursday, November 11, 2010

A DREAM COMING TRUE






Cut off as I am, it is inevitable that I should sometimes feel like a shadow walking in a shadowy world. When this happens I ask to be taken to New York City. Always I return home weary but I have the comforting certainty that mankind is real and I myself am not a dream.


Helen Keller


Many people have dreamed of being able to live somewhere in particular. It might be some exotic island in the Pacific, some peaceful village in New England, or perhaps some storied region in Europe.  For me, one such place has been New York City.  I have visited New York many times and have been totally captivated by its diversity, energy and limitless possibilities. I now have the opportunity to make this city my home, at least for awhile, and want to make the most of it. 

Rather than living in Manhattan, I have chosen to live in Brooklyn. I figured that if I lived in Manhattan, that's all I would experience, but if I lived in Brooklyn (a borough I'd never visited save to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan!) I would be forced to make more discoveries. 

I have settled in an area near Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and the Brooklyn Public Library.  From this wonderful hub I shall be able to go in many directions, literally and figuratively.  The postings on this blog will reflect some of my experiences during my time in NYC. I hope you will enjoy reading about this journey I am taking. 

Note:  The dates on each blog posting will not be accurate.  I have adjusted the dates to keep the blog sequential so that as one scrolls through the blog one is moving forward chronologically.

No comments:

Post a Comment