Thursday, November 11, 2010

SCRATCHING THE SURFACE



The Brooklyn Museum of Art is the second-largest art museum in NYC and one of the world's great art centers--and it's five minutes from my apartment!  On the first Saturday in October I decided to give myself an overview of this museum.  Although all of the exhibits are outstanding from many perspectives (even if the gallery areas do need updating in terms of appearance), what really drew my interest was the American gallery on the fifth level.  Needless to say, it is a veritable gold mine of American art. I especially like the way each themed section is inclusive of historical, contemporary and minority artists (although the diversity of minorities could be expanded). 

The arts certainly have a role to play in lessening the distances between cultures and promoting understanding. A neat feature of the museum is that some of the works on display have little comment placards by them giving the reactions of the viewers. The ages and often something of the background of the viewer is provided.  It was fascinating to me to read these comments.

This is certainly a place I shall return to again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment